Namewee case: Statements from various parties will be taken, say police

BUKIT MERTAJAM: Police will record statements from several other parties to complete investigations into the case involving controversial rap singer Namewee who produced a video clip in a mosque in Tanjung here which allegedly insulted Islam, said Penang Police Chief Datuk Abdul Ghafar Rajab.

He said that so far more than 10 people including members of the mosque committee and non-governmental organisations had lodge police reports and those involved in the video clip had given their statements.

"Yesterday, police applied to extend the remand on Namewee after his four-day remand ended, in order to complete the investigation papers on the case but the court rejected the application due to his health.

"We released him yesterday on police bail and further investigations are being conducted. We had submitted the investigation papers to the Public Prosecutor but they want us to continue our investigations with records of statements from other parties,," he told reporters here today.

He added that once completed, the investigation papers will be re-submitted to the prosecution for further action.

Abdul Ghafar said six police reports had been lodged by various parties in the case against Namewee, whose real name is Wee Meng Chee.

Last Monday, the singer was detained for four days to assist in investigations into the case of the video clip under Section 295 of the Penal Code which provides for a jail sentence of up to two years or fine, or both.

Last Sunday, the singer was detained at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport when he arrived from overseas at 3.30pm.

The video clip featured four men singing in Mandarin in a 4.05-minute song which went viral and angered the public as it is believed to be insulting to Islam. – Bernama