IGP confirms arrest of third Turkish national

KUALA LUMPUR: Inspector-General of Police (IGP) Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar confirmed the arrest of a third Turkish national on Thursday, saying he was detained for allegedly being a threat to national security.

He said the arrest was made at a petrol station in Chenor, Pahang at about 4.30pm yesterday.

"The suspect who is in his 40's was nabbed for threatening public safety and order.

"We will protect the country against any threat, be it foreign or domestic.

"The safety and security of all is our priority," he told a press conference today after witnessing the handing over ceremony for the Bukit Aman Crime Prevention and Community Safety Department director’s post between outgoing director Commissioner Datuk Rusli Ahmad and new director Commissioner Datuk Tajuddin Md Isa.

On Wednesday, Khalid had confirmed that two Turkish men - feared to be abducted at first - were actually detained under Section 130 of the Penal Code for activities detrimental to national security.

When asked how long the arrested Turkish nationals had been involved in terror activities, Khalid said: "They had started to get involved, that is why we took action."

Khalid added that police had gathered sufficient information to act on the trio.

He later rubbished the rumour that the three were arrested on request of the Turkish government, saying the authorities here had a right to take action to ensure its security.

Khalid also refused to elaborate further on what the third Turkish national did to threaten national security.

Yesterday, Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi said the two Turkish citizens who were arrested by police on Tuesday were alleged to have been involved in activities and correspondence related to Daesh (Islamic State) terrorist group.

He also confirmed that the duo, international school head Turgay Karaman and businessman Ihsan Aslan are being investigated under the Security Offences (Special Measures) Act 2012 (Sosma).

Ahmad Zahid, who is also the Home Minister added that the arrests were made not due to accusations but from findings obtained through the Counter Messaging Centre when investigating them.