DoJ urged to reveal identities of 'opposition' complainants on 1MDB

PETALING JAYA: The US Department of Justice (DoJ) must come clean and reveal the identities of Malaysians responsible for filing the complaints on alleged misappropriation linked with the state firm 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB).

Barisan Nasional strategic communication director Datuk Seri Abdul Rahman Dahlan said it was clear that the DoJ's investigation was triggered by complaints made by certain individuals to undermine the government.

He claimed those who brought the complaints were playing a part in the opposition's plot to topple Najib and the "democratically elected government of Malaysia".

"My suspicion is that these complainants are actually Malaysians with heinous political agenda against the Prime Minister and the government," he said.

"Malaysians deserve to know who these complainants are and the DoJ should reveal their identities immediately …," he said in a statement.

The DoJ in an announcement of its latest civil suits on Thursday seeks to seize another US$540 million (RM2.3 billion) in assets allegedly stolen from 1MDB. The department had last year filed a similar suit in relation to the troubled firm.

1MDB in an immediate response said the allegations raised by the DoJ which had linked the firm were not backed with proof.

Reiterating 1MDB's stand, Abdul Rahman, who is also the minister in the prime minister's department, stressed that the state investment arm was not the party to the civil law suit filed by DoJ.

"In fact, the assets that the DoJ alleges were wrongfully procured and seeks to seize, were in fact purchased by entities that are not legally owned nor controlled by 1MDB," he added.

Stating the suit as filled with "various unproven allegations", Abdul Rahman said the law suit needed to be based on provable facts and not contain baseless rhetoric.

"More importantly, the allegations made by the DoJ must first be proven in a court of law, before it can be accepted as fact," he added.

He also reminded that the 1MDB had previously been placed under scrutiny of the Public Accounts Committee, which the bipartisan parliament team had not found any evidence of misappropriation.

Meanwhile, Defence Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein said the DoJ should take legal action against Malaysian Official 1 (MO1).

Hishammuddin, who is Umno vice-president, added the DoJ is being "irresponsible" and would only loose its credibility for continuously making "baseless" allegations, without considering a legal action.

"If DoJ has proof, they should charge those they accuse. Don't make baseless statements.

"This is justice, Those who are accused can explain and given a chance to clear their names.

"If they (DoJ) accuse and no (follow up) action, then their credibility should be questioned," Hishammuddin said during a press conference after a briefing session on the party's handbook on the 14th general election held at Putra World Trade Centre.

Hishammuddin explained by press charging, the DoJ will have a chance to confront the accused and settle the issue legally.

He added the DoJ will do a "big favour" to everyone by revealing who MO1 actually is should a trial be held.

"(MO1)could be anyone, people would want to spin it the way they want it to.

"This is all speculation, if they have proof they should charge, but until then, how would we know who is actually MO1," he said.