Isa released on bail (Updated)

PUTRAJAYA: The magistrate's court today released former Felda chairman Tan Sri Mohd Isa Abdul Samad after a five-day remand from Wednesday over a Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission investigation into the Felda Investment Corporation (FIC) purchase of a hotel in Kensington, London.

Subordinate courts of Malaya registrar Datuk Zainal Abidin Kamarudin allowed the release of Mohd Isa, 68, on a bail of RM150,000 in two sureties.

Mohd Isa smiled as he walked out of the courtroom at 10.45am, and was greeted by shouts from his supporters at the compound of the Putrajaya magistrate's court.

Mohd Isa, clad in the MACC orange lock-up attire, was brought to the Putrajaya magistrate's court at 9.50am. More than 100 supporters and family members, including his wife Puan Sri Bibi Sharliza Mohd Khalid, had gathered outside the court since 9am.

Datuk K. Kumaraendran, who leads the team of lawyers representing Mohd Isa, said the MACC did not apply for an extension of the remand as his client had fully cooperated with the investigation.

Approached by reporters after the proceedings, Kumaraendran said Mohd Isa was only detained to assist in the investigation and not as a suspect in the case.

He said Mohd Isa was also ready to be called as a witness if there was any prosecution in the case.

Mohd Isa was arrested at 4.30pm on Tuesday after spending two hours recording a statement at the MACC headquarters here.

The case is being investigated under Section 16 of the MACC Act for alleged abuse of power in the purchase of a hotel in London in 2014/2015.

Meanwhile, in SEREMBAN, Umno vice-president Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein urged all parties not to make judgments against anyone who is being investigated until they are proven guilty by the court.

He was referring to Umno Teluk Kemang's division head Tan Sri Mohd Isa Abdul Samad, who was remanded in connection with the ongoing investigation into FIC's hotel purchases in London and Kuching. – Bernama