Number of flood victims in Penang drops to 5,729

GEORGE TOWN: The number of flood victims seeking shelter at two districts in flood-ravaged Penang has decreased from 7,294 this afternoon to 5,729 this evening.

A police flood operations room spokesman said as at 7pm today, 3,789 Seberang Perai Utara (SPU) victims and 1,930 others from Seberang Perai Tengah district were being sheltered at 36 relief centres.

"The flood situation in the two districts is improving as flood waters have begun to recede," he said here today.

The relief centres in Seberang Perai Selatan, Southwest and Northeast districts were closed after all victims returned home.

According to the spokesman, the weather in Penang was sunny today and the Jalan Lahar Yooi-Padang Menora was the only road still closed to traffic in SPU.

Almost all areas in Penang were affected by floods with several areas submerged in water of between 0.2 and one metre following strong winds and heavy rains since Saturday morning which also saw dozens of trees uprooted.

The state's worst-ever floods to date has claimed seven lives so far.

Meanwhile, Kedah, as at 8 pm, the number of flood victims at relief centres in Kedah dropped to 373 from 442 people this afternoon.

State civil defence director Lt Kol (PA) Mohd Zul Khairi Shamsuddin said the victims from 94 families were being housed in six relief centres, in the Kuala Muda, Kulim and Pendang districts.

Most of the victims are expected to return home tomorrow as the flood waters have receded following sunny weather since yesterday. — Bernama