‘Commission to probe landslide on track’

GEORGE TOWN: Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng said there is no delay in gazetting the formation of a State Commission of Enquiry (SCE) to investigate the Tanjong Bungah landslide tragedy Oct 21 last year.

Lim said the formation of an SCE must be done in accordance to the Commissions of Enquiry Act 1950, adding that Penang Governor Tun Abdul Rahman Abbas had consented to the formation of the SCE on Dec 6.

He said the governor has also consented to the appointment of three professionals to serve as commissioners.

"Former Bar Council chairman Datuk Yeo Yang Poh, engineer Datuk Gue See Sew and an academician from Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, Prof Ramli Nasir, have been appointed as commissioners," he told a press conference today.

The SCE have been given six terms of reference to enable them to investigate the tragedy.

It has been tasked to:

- investigate the causes of the failure of the temporary structures at the work site, and whether the causes were related to a nearby quarry;

- probe whether the deaths at the site were due to negligence, recklessness, misconduct or breach of professional conduct;

- recommend appropriate action, legal or otherwise, which ought to be taken against any person, company or authority found to be responsible for the loss of lives and injuries;

- ascertain if all necessary approvals for the project had been obtained in accordance to the law;

- recommend appropriate measures, changes or improvement to the relevant processes and procedures, to avoid a recurrence of a similar incident; and

- make further findings that may be related to any or all of the above.

In the landslide tragedy, 11 workers including a Malaysian project supervisor died when tonnes of earth, debris and construction material came crashing down on them.

Following the tragedy, many parties, including non-governmental organisations, had urged the state government to form a commission to investigate the incident.