Najib monitors flood situation, ensures adequate aid gets to victims (Updated)

KUALA LUMPUR: The government will ensure that adequate aid is given to all those affected by the floods, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Abdul Razak said in a post on his Twitter account today.

"I am monitoring the situation in the flood-hit states and ensuring that adequate aid is given to the victims," he added.

The Prime Minister reminded all the affected people to give priority to their own safety, adhere to the advice of the authorities and be steadfast.

Meanwhile, the number of victims hit the 5,000 mark at 3pm today when a total of 5,199 people from 1,474 families were evacuated to relief centres in Johor, Pahang and Trengganu.

In Pahang, the number of flood evacuees continued to rise, reaching 4,432 as of noon compared to 1,884 in the morning.

Pahang Civil Defence Force director Zainal Yusof said the highest number of evacuees were in the district of Kuantan, with 1,358 people from 399 families.

Zainal said the level of Sungai Lepar in Kuantan was 30.04m, having breached the danger point, while the level of Sungai Kuantan was at the warning point at Bukit Kenau (19.93m) and Pasir Kemudi (7.43m).

In Rompin, he said, the levels of five rivers were at the alert point, namely Sungai Kurnia at Kampung Kurnia (1.96m), Sungai Puteri at Kuala Rompin (2.03m), Sungai Rompin at Kampung Kerpal (2.18m), Sungai Aur at Kampung Aur (14.60m) and Sungai Keratong at Bukit Serok (21.82m).

In Johor, a total of 321 people from 97 families in the flood-hit Mersing and Kota Tinggi districts had been moved to nine relief centres as of 8am today.

Johor Health, Environment, Education and Information Committee chairman Datuk Ayub Rahmat said the affected areas in Mersing were Taman Nakhoda, Air Papan, Kampung Tanjung Genting, Kampung Tenglu Besar, Kampung Kelantan, Kampung Air Tawar, Kampung Pengkalan, Kampung Air Merah and Kampung Jemari, while the two areas in Kota Tinggi were Kampung Bukit Raja and Kampung Sungai Buntu.

Meanwhile, the situation in the flood-hit areas of Terengganu saw a slight decrease in the number of evacuees on the third day yesterday, with 326 people from 108 families as at 3pm compared to 343 (114 families) on Tuesday night.

According to the Info Banjir portal, two more relief centres had been opened in the Kemaman and Dungun districts, bringing the total to seven.

Dungun is the hardest hit, with 256 people from 93 families in three centres, while in Kemaman, there are 77 people from 17 families in four centres. — Bernama