Drop in dengue cases for two consecutive years

PUTRAJAYA: The number of dengue cases have been declining for two consecutive years since 2015 as a result of the integrated action by various ministries, agencies, communities and individuals, according to Health director-general Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah.

He said 120,836 dengue cases were reported in 2015, the highest ever recorded in the country, and the number saw a drastic drop in 2016 and last year at 101,357 and 83,849 cases respectively.

"A total of 177 deaths due to dengue were recorded nationwide last year, a drop of 60 deaths from 237 recorded in 2016," he said in a statement today.

Noor Hisham said the national-level special dengue task force, which comprised seven ministries and various agencies, was set up in July 2014 to mobilise agencies and communities in conducting activities to curb dengue cases.

It includes cooperation in carrying out mega "gotong-royong" (mutual help) programmes, enforcement operations, advertisements, campaigns as well as education programmes for students and communities, he said.

Noor Hisham said through the integrated enforcement operations carried out last year, 2,458 construction sites; 13,408 commercial sites, 639 nurseries and 1,698 scrap metal premises were inspected.

"A total of 1,702 compound fines worth RM534,000 were issued, while 38 construction sites had received closure orders," he said.

Meanwhile, Noor Hisham said 270 cases of chikungunya were also reported last year, 190 of which were in Kedah, Selangor (33), Johor (24), Kelantan (19) as well as two each in Perak and Sarawak.

He said the Zika virus surveillance monitoring continued to be intensified, while as of Dec 31, 2017, the test results of 2,304 blood samples and 33 urine samples of patients with symptoms came out negative. — Bernama