Suspect arrested in the dramatic attempted murder of a smartphone dealer

BUKIT MERTAJAM: Police have arrested a suspect in the attempted murder of a smartphone dealer here, who had miraculously survived despite being shot four times, during a botched assassination bid at Taman Sentosa in Jalan Kulim here on Saturday.

The suspect, aged in his 40s, was detained by detectives around 10.30pm on Saturday in Tanjong Tokong based on an anonymous tip.

The suspect has since been remanded until Friday to facilitate investigations into the incident which shocked residents here, as the shootout occurred several metres away from the St Anne Church.

The victim is now recovering in stable condition at the Seberang Jaya Hospital here, having suffered four bullet wounds to his chest and shoulder that he received from the bumbling assassin, who had shot through a left side window of a nearby car. The assailant had fired up to 10 rounds using a revolver.

Police have placed look-outs at the hospital to provide security to the victim in case of further violence.

The motive for the attack is currently believed to be due to a business rivalry.

Seberang Prai Tengah district police chief ACP Nik Ros Azhan Nik Abdul Hamid, who confirmed the arrest, said doctors have yet to remove the bullets lodged inside the victim.

Nik Ros Azhan said despite the arrest of one suspect, investigations were still ongoing to pinpoint how many persons were involved in the murder plot.

On Saturday, the 22-year old victim had just finished having a meal at a popular food court and was driving away from the place, when a lone hitman struck from inside a waiting car.

The victim had stopped his car at a traffic light junction when the lights turned red.

The gunman, who was clad in a ski mask, pulled alongside, and lowered the left window of his car before opening firing at the victim's.

It was learnt that a heavily tinted window of the victim's car could have obstructed the hitman from having a clear view of his intended target.