Fishing trip turns tragic for family of eight

TEMERLOH: The family involved in a fatal accident in Mentakab here this morning was supposed to return to Kuala Lumpur today but decided to take a fishing trip at the Klau Dam in Raub.

Khasrul Hafiz Haqimie, 25, who sustained minor facial injuries, said his family decided to take the fishing trip before returning to their home in Sungai Penchala, Damansara, Kuala Lumpur today after attending a family gathering at Kampung Batu 4, Paya Pulai here yesterday.

"(Khasrul) Haizal was so excited to go fishing, he had prepared the fishing gear since yesterday," he said when met here.

Khasrul Hafiz Haqimie is the eldest son of the Proton Exora driver Mohd Yusof Ghazali, 55, and Norizan Md Diah, 51, who involved in the three-vehicle collision at the 149km of Jalan Kuantan-Kuala Lumpur, which killed the couple's two other sons Khasrul Haizal, 20, and Khasrul Ikhwan, 18 as well as a Toyota Hilux driver Chua Jyh Shyong, 37.

Khasrul Hafiz Haqimie said he could not remember what had happened because he was sleeping when the accident occurred.

"When I woke up our car had overturned and I had to get out through the rear door. I saw (Khasrul) Ikhwan's head covered with blood and (Khasrul) Haizal was pinned to the seat," he said.

In the 9.30am incident, a trailer, which was heading from the direction of Kuala Lumpur to Kuantan was believed to have skidded and swerved into the opposite lane before colliding with the MPV which the family of eight was travelling on and the Toyota Hilux.

Mohd Yusof, Norizan and their four sons Khasrul Hafiz Haqimie, Khasrul Hanif Hazirin, 23, Khasrul Izwan, 18 and Khasrul Ikram, 13, as well as the passenger of the pickup truck Chee Kok Yong, 39, were injured.

Khasrul Ikram was reportedly being admitted to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of Sultan Haji Ahmad Shah Hospital here.

The remains of Khasrul Haizal and Khasrul Ikhwan were buried in Paya Pulai after Asar prayer.

Meanwhile, district police chief ACP Zudin Mahmood said the trailer driver who fled the scene had surrendered himself at the Temerloh police station this evening and the police would seek a remand order tomorrow. — Bernama