Jho Low's passport cancelled

KUALA LUMPUR: The Immigration Department has cancelled the passport of billionaire financier and fugitive Low Taek Jho or better known as Jho Low.

Its director-general, Datuk Seri Mustafar Ali, said Jho Low's passport was cancelled on June 15 following a request by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) that is in the midst of an extensive probe on the embezzlement of funds related to 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB).

"We received the request from MACC chief commissioner Datuk Seri Mohd Shukri Abdull and we executed the appropriate action," he said at a Hari Raya open house held at the department's headquarters, here, yesterday.

Mustafar confirmed that the cancellation followed provisions under the Immigration Act to bar the embattled figure's movements as he is required to present himself in Malaysia for questioning by the authorities.

Last month, reports surfaced that Jho Low, who was identified by authorities as a deal maker in 1MDB transactions, was prepared to meet MACC investigators in Dubai.

Mohd Shukri, however, issued a statement recently and said that the anti-graft agency would not interview Jho Low in Dubai and he should come back to Malaysia to be quizzed.

Meanwhile, when asked on reports that claimed former Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Abdul Razak had two passports following news of the court order to impound the documents, Mustafar said that there was nothing "special" about the leader having a diplomatic one besides his regular passport.

"It doesn't matter if he has two passports because he is still under our travel blacklist," he added.