Jamal Yunos fined RM400 for causing public nuisance (Updated)

SHAH ALAM: Former Sungai Besar Umno Division chief Datuk Seri Jamal Yunos was fined RM400 by the magistrate's court after he pleaded guilty to committing public nuisance in front of the Selangor state secretariat building last October.

He was charged with causing public nuisance by breaking bottles containing alcoholic drinks with a hammer in front of an exit gate of the State Secretariat building at 10.15am on Oct 5, last year.

The charge under Section 290 of the Penal Code provides for a fine of up to RM400 if convicted.

Magistrate Raja Noor Adilla Raja Mahyaldin imposed the maximum fine and one month jail if he failed to pay the fine.

When the magistrate gave him the opportunity to address the court, Jamal said his actions were a media gimmick to protest the state's approval of the Oktoberfest event.

"It was just a media gimmick where together with about 30 leaders from NGOs we invited the media for coverage. It was a protest against the consumption of alcohol openly, especially by the youth of Selangor," he said after pleading guilty.

"We broke ten cartons of beer with the Oktoberfest logo stuck on it as a sign of protest. I bought the cartons worth RM1,800, with my own money and broke them as a sign of protest. Thank God because of our action, the event was cancelled and the organiser's permit was revoked."

However, Jamal was taken to the Sungai Buloh prison as the Ampang court magistrate Mohd Firdaus Sadina had denied him bail for a pending charge, due to his past history of escaping from police custody.

On July 5, he was charged under Section 224 of the Penal Code, where anyone who intentionally resists or obstructs lawful apprehension of themselves after being convicted can be punished with a two-year prison term, a fine, or both.

The case has been set for mention on July 30.

His lawyer, Datuk Mohd Imran Tamrin told reporters outside the courtroom today that the legal team is discussing the possibility of bail.

Jamal, 48, was under police remand at Ampang Puteri Specialist Hospital premium ward, where he was undergoing treatment for back pain.

He was found missing by Shah Alam Court assistant registrar Rahasbiah Abd Rahman when she turned up to issue his bail on May 25.

He promised to turn himself in on May 30 but did not show up at the Ampang Jaya police station.

After speculation on his whereabouts, he was apprehended by Indonesian police on July 2 at 6.15pm and was extradited back to Malaysia on July 5.

He was caught while getting a haircut.