IGP: We have not arrested Jho Low yet

PETALING JAYA: Reports of the alleged arrest of financier and subject of the 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) scandal financier Low Taek Jho or also known as Jho Low, will need to be verified, said police.

Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Mohamad Fuzi Harun was responding to reports saying that a Hong Kong radio station, which he did not name, had reported Low had been captured in China, pending Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad's visit there next month.

"I have not got any information on that, and cannot respond to it," he told a media conference yesterday after attending a vehicle handing over ceremony between PLUS Malaysia Bhd and police.

He added an Interpol Red Notice has already been sent out for Jho Low's arrest to assist in investigations into the 1MDB scandal and police have yet to ascertain the exact location of the fugitive financier.

"We are not sure of his whereabouts. We don't have information about him at the moment. We believe he has travelled to Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau and China. But we are not sure of his exact location now," he added.

"If we have his exact location, we will narrow it down and seek help from the relevant country. It is an ongoing process," he said.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad said he is unaware of reports that Jho Low has been arrested in China.

"But I hope he is arrested and brought back to Malaysia," he said when met by media at the Parliament session.

He said this is the first he heard about Jho Low's arrest after he was asked by the media about it.

"You seem to be better informed than the Prime Minister of Malaysia," he quipped.

"All I know is that he is jumping from place to place to avoid arrest. If it's true that he has been arrested, we must find out what for by the Chinese authorities," he said.

He added that although Malaysia has no extradition treaty with China, if he is arrested, Malaysia can make a request to have him handed over to Malaysian authorities.

On Wednesday, Sarawak Report quoted an unnamed Hong Kong radio station as claiming that Chinese authorities have detained the Penang-born businessman.

The US Department of Justice (DOJ) had claimed in its civil forfeiture suits that the businessman was involved in multiple instances where 1MDB funds were allegedly misappropriated.

On another matter, Mohamad Fuzi said police have completed the reopened investigation into the 2006 murder of Mongolian national Altantuya Shaariibuu.

He said the latest investigation included statements taken from several witnesses including Altantuya's father, Dr Setev Shaaribuu.

The investigation papers have been submitted to the Attorney General's Chambers (AGC) for further action.

On another matter, police will comply with the AGC's instructions to conduct further investigations into the death of Teoh Beng Hock in 2009.

Teoh, 30, was found dead on July 16, 2009, on the fifth floor corridor of Plaza Masalam in Shah Alam after giving a statement at the Selangor Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission office.