IGP: No news on Jho Low's arrest

KUALA LUMPUR: There is still no news on the arrest of wanted businessman Low Taek Jho said the Inspector General of Police Tan Sri Mohamad Fuzi Harun.

He confirmed that his men have checked with counterparts in China and they have confirmed that Jho Low is still at large.

"I can confirm there is still no news of his arrest," he told a press conference after witnessing the handing over ceremony for the Bukit Aman Management director's post at the Police Training Centre on Friday (July 20).

On Wednesday, Sarawak Report quoted an unnamed Hong Kong radio station as claiming that Chinese authorities have detained the Penang-born businessman.

On July 11, South China Morning Post said Low had fled to mainland China from Macau, either by car or by a private jet.

Prior to that, the 37-year-old businessman had run to Macau as Malaysian police closed in on him in Hong Kong.

The US Department of Justice (DOJ) had claimed in its civil forfeiture suits that Jho Low was involved in multiple instances where 1MDB funds were allegedly misappropriated.

On a separate matter, the IGP said that they were investigating allegations that the Seri Perdana complex was broken into.

Kuala Lumpur police are checking whether any police report has been lodged," he said.

Former Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia member Anina Saadudin had alleged that a burglary had occurred at the Seri Perdana complex.

In a Facebook post earlier this week, she said that a storeroom at Seri Perdana had been broken into.

She had also uploaded a photo, claiming that it was of the storeroom, adding that some of the items stolen belonged to former premier Datuk Seri Najib Abdul Razak.