Chicken wings buried in Sibu from Netherlands, not New Zealand

KUCHING: The three container loads of chicken wings that were buried in Sibu were brought in from the Netherlands and not New Zealand as earlier reported.

"The import of chicken products from The Netherlands was suspended on Dec 8, 2016 due to the outbreak of the highly pathogenic Avian Influenza (H5N1) or Bird Flu," said Deputy Chief Minister Datuk Amar Douglas Uggah Embas.

He said Sarawak allowed the import of poultry products (chicken wings) from approved overseas slaughtering plants which had been inspected and audited by the Department of Veterinary Services Malaysia and Jakim.

He made the comments following the recent incident in Sibu where three container loads (4,000kg) of chicken wings were buried on March 30 and March 31 in a vacant lot at Teluk Engkalat Road, off Aup Road, only to be dug up by hundreds of local residents three days later.

Besides being consumed, the dug up chicken wings were also believed to have been put up for sale.

The incident with pictures and video clips that went viral in the social media caused much concern among the people in the last few days.

Uggah, who is also state Modernisation of Agriculture and Rural Economy Minister, said his ministry was not consulted prior to the disposal by the Royal Malaysian Customs Department team from Putrajaya.

"Upon checking with the State Veterinary Authority, no veterinary import permits were issued and hence the importations were considered illegal," he said, adding that the disposal was under the purview of the Customs Department. — Bernama