Dead duo are members of Mamak Gang, say cops

KUALA LUMPUR (Jan 12, 2012): The two men killed in a shootout with detectives in Wangsa Maju on Tuesday are remnants of the notorious Mamak Gang.

The men, aged 35 and 45, are believed to be involved in at least 15 robberies, involving losses of more than RM1 million, in Kuala Lumpur. The number of cases they were involved in may be higher in Selangor.

Kuala Lumpur police CID chief SAC II Datuk Ku Chin Wah said the older suspect has 12 previous criminal records and was wanted for five more cases while the other suspect had a record for five past cases.

He said police are looking for the third member of the gang who was armed with a handgun and escaped on foot on seeing his accomplices dead.

He said based on the description given by witnesses, investigators who perused police records have narrowed down the identity of the gunman to several suspects linked to the Mamak Gang.

On Monday, a team of police detectives spotted three men in a car behaving suspiciously near a hypermarket.

When they approached the men, they sped off and a chase ensued before several gunshots rang out of the gang's car. The detectives returned gunfire but the suspects managed to give them the slip.

About 20 minutes later, the driver of the getaway car, who suffered gunshot wounds, crashed the vehicle into the rear of another car driven by a pregnant woman.

On seeing the driver and front passenger, who also suffered gunshot injuries, collapse in the car, the gunman escaped on foot. Witnesses told police they saw the gunman scurrying from the car with a pistol in his hand.

Ku said police believe the survivor had also suffered gunshot wounds during the shootout.

On another matter, police said preliminary results of tests on the debris of three bombs which exploded during the 901 Free Anwar Rally showed that it was home-made pyrotechnics and not commercial or military grade explosives.

Ku confirmed that low-level explosive material were used in the bombs.

Police are working round-the-clock to trace the crooks who had planted the bombs which injured five people including a lawyer.

It was also learnt that police did not have a closed-circuit TV camera footage of the areas where the blasts took place which made identifying the crooks an uphill task.

On Monday, three bombs blew up over a span of 30 minutes in the height of the rally at three different locations close to the KL court complex on Monday soon after word of opposition leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim being cleared of sodomy charges.

Five people including a lawyer suffered light injuries and several vehicles were damaged in the blasts.

Four of the victims received outpatient treatment while the fifth victim, a man in his 50's who suffered shock as a result of the explosions remains warded at the Kuala Lumpur Hospital.