Six-month-old baby girl in coma, babysitter arrested

KLANG (Sept 11, 2013): A six-month-old baby girl is in a coma at the Tengku Ampuan Rahimah Hospital here after being allegedly assaulted by a babysitter on Tuesday.

Nur Sofea Insyirah Mohd Sharil is in critical condition as a result of a fractured skull.

Klang (South) police chief ACP Mohamad Mat Yusop said a 28-year-old woman was arrested at 5pm today.

He said police learnt that Nur Sofea had been left in the babysitter's care at her home in Jalan Yadi, Kampung Teluk Gadong Keci, for the past four months.

He said the child's 28-year-old father, a postman, received a call from the babysitter on Tuesday after she noticed the child gasping for breath.

The babysitter is believed to have taken the child to the hospital.

The man alerted his wife who rushed to the hospital and was informed of her daughter's condition by doctors.

Mohamad said Nur Sofea's father had lodged a police report, in which he said that he had found bruises on his daughter's forehead on two occasions, with the latest a week ago.

He said when the man questioned the babysitter – whom he paid RM300 a month for her services – she told him that the child had on the first occasion sustained the bruises after grazing herself on a carpet and in the second incident, had been hurt when a milk bottle fell on her head.

In a separate child abuse case in Setapak, Kuala Lumpur, the parents of a 10-year-old boy were arrested on Aug 29 after the victim's school teachers alerted the police.

Kuala Lumpur deputy CID chief ACP Khairi Ahrasa said the victim's school teachers had queried the boy days earlier when they spotted bruises and other injuries on him.

After much persuasion, the boy reluctantly confessed to teachers that he was constantly beaten by his parents.

It is learnt that the school headmaster summoned the victim's parents to the school to clarify the matter on Aug 28. The boy failed to turn up at school the next day.

Khairi said school officials, concerned over the boy's safety, called the police who went over to the Year Four pupil's house at Jalan Pahang.

On arriving at the house, police found the victim in an anxious state.

Police learned that he had been allegedly beaten by his parents again for confiding in his teachers.

Khairi said police sent the boy to the Kuala Lumpur Hospital where he was warded for his injuries before being discharged.

He said the parents, aged 51 and 55, were detained the same day for investigations.