Baby dumping on the rise

newsdesk@thesundaily.com

KUALA LUMPUR (Feb 9, 2011): The police today expressed disappointment over the rising number of baby dumping cases despite efforts taken by various quarters to address the issue.  

Last month alone, police recorded 19 such cases nationwide which brought the total number of cases since 2005 to 517 – out of which 287 babies were found dead.

Baby boys made up 203 of the total while 164 were girls and the gender of the rest remained unknown as the bodies were found in an advanced stages of decomposition.

However, for all the cases only 37 people, mainly women, had been nabbed for the offence since 2005. Police had charged 22 women and five men during the same period.

Federal police CID director Commissioner Datuk Seri Mohd Bakri Zinin said 2008 was the worst year as 102 cases of baby dumping were recorded by the police.

He said 13 of the babies in the 19 cases last month were found dead.

"It is very difficult to track down those responsible for these cases due to lack of information. This is a very serious situation and though there have been efforts by various quarters in addressing the issue, sadly we have all failed.

"We need to find a more effective mechanism to resolve this and all parties must play their part," he said at a press conference at the Bukit Aman federal police headquarters.

Mohd Bakri also said police had taken over the NUR (National Urgency Response) Alert hotline meant for alerts on missing children and child abuse since Jan 27 this year.
 
The hotline was previously managed by Women, Family and Community Development Ministry.

"We took over the hotline as the task of solving such cases mainly lies with us and information received from callers is crucial in ensuring our investigations proceed without a glitch." he said.