Second JE victim in Penang

GEORGE TOWN: A toddler in Penang has been warded at the intensive care unit (ICU) of the Penang Hopsital after she became the second victim of Japanese Encephalitis (JE) in Penang.

The two-year-old from Bagan Jermal, whose identity has yet to be confirmed, was admitted to the Seberang Jaya Hospital on June 12 before being sent for treatment here.

Penang Health Department director Datuk Lailanor Ibrahim said the girl received intensive treatment in the pediatric ICU unit.

"The girl since had been placed in the pediatric ICU unit and had received intensive treatment from the hospital," said Lailanor in a statement.

He also added that according to a specialist from Penang Hospital, the patient is recovering and is able to eat and drink.

"From the initial blood test (serum serology for JE) on 24/6/2014, the test came back positive and the hospital has taken another blood sample from the patient on 2 July 2014 for confirmation.

"Public Health Unit from state health department will conduct further investigation on the patient's family for Active Case Detection (ACD) and will take control measures for the next course of action," said Lailanor.

Ammar Murquish Zulkifli, 12, was the first reported case in the state and is currently receiving treatment at the Pantai Hospital in Bayan Baru here.

With this case the total number of JE cases nation wide stands at 17 with four deaths.