Businessman arrested over bomb hoax threat

18 May 2016 / 20:23 H.

    PETALING JAYA: A businessman who allegedly made a bomb hoax call that led to a Singapore-bound Firefly flight returning to the Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport, Subang on Tuesday was arrested by police in Batu Caves today.
    It is learnt that the man was supposed to board the same flight but realised he had left his passport at home on arriving at the Subang airport.
    He is believed to have returned home to get his passport but when the flight departed as scheduled, he allegedly tried to have the aircraft turn around to the airport by making a bomb hoax call.
    It is believed that the suspect subsequently changed his mind to travel to Singapore and went home.
    Within hours after the incident, the 41-year-old suspect who is said to own a electrical appliances shop was traced by police through a telephone number he had allegedly used to make the threat call to ground staff of the airline.
    He was held at a house in Taman Bukit Permata by a Petaling Jaya CID team at 10am today.
    It is learnt that police had hours earlier picked up the suspect's male employee for questioning also at Batu Caves.
    Petaling Jaya police chief ACP Mohd Zani Che Din said the businessman was held for investigation for alleged "criminal intimidation by anonymous communication" under Section 507 of the Penal Code.
    On Tuesday, the Firefly flight carrying 30 passengers and four crew took off at 7.40pm but returned to the Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport after pilots were told by flight control tower staff of the threat call.
    A ground staff of the airlines had apparently received two calls from a man who spoke in Bahasa Malaysia and English warning them of a bomb on board the aircraft.
    Police were called in and searched the aircraft for explosives for over three hours but found none on board.
    The passengers and crew resumed the flight in another aircraft at 11.40pm.

    thesundaily_my Sentifi Top 10 talked about stocks