PUTRAJAYA: A damning revelation by new Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) chief commissioner Datuk Seri Mohd Shukri Abdull today detailed a cloak and dagger conspiracy that arose soon after investigations into the RM42 million financial scandal of SRC International Sdn Bhd was concluded in 2015. Mohd Shukri in a press conference at the commission's headquarters revealed how, fearing for his life, he was forced to flee Malaysia for the US. Mohd Shukri, who retired as the deputy chief commissioner of the MACC two years ago, broke down as he related how he almost died and went through a harrowing experience when handling the case together with the then MACC chief commissioner Tan Sri Abu Kassim Mohamed. "I left for Washington but on arrival, I found I was still being trailed. I left by train to New York and met a friend who had worked in Singapore. This is where I was given protection for a week by three bodyguards from the New York police department. They also spotted the person who trailed me and they took photos of him. I sent the photos to Datuk Seri Azam ( MACC deputy commissioner Azam Baki) and told him to send the photos to the former IGP (Inspector-General of Police) and tell him to find a smarter officer to trail me as this one was stupid for I ended up spotting him instead." he said Mohd Shukri said prior to his departure on July 31, 2015 the probe on SRC International Sdn Bhd where RM42 million was deposited into former Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Abdul Razak's personal account was ongoing. He said former MACC chief commissioner Tan Sri Abu Kassim Mohamed had directed him to probe the case. "I told him, Tan Sri either our PM goes out or we both will have to go out. Abu Kassim said, no problem, we do it for our country. We were faced with dozens of obstacles. The witnesses we wanted to speak to were taken and kept away and also taken by other authorities and questioned on what they had divulged to the MACC. I was threatened with expulsion and transfers and asked to go on early retirement. I thank my boss Abu Kassim who stood by me. He said if they want to sack me, then they should sack us both." He said on July 26, he met with former Attorney-General Tan Sri Gani Patail who asked him if he was ready to proceed with taking the case to court for charging. "I told him I am ready but the following day I received news that he had been expelled. I then received information from friends that I would be arrested for conspiring to topple the government." he said "In the US, I cried like a child because I love the MACC and I felt guilty because I had left my personnel behind and fled Malaysia. The threats I had received on my life were immensely scary." said Mohd Shukri holding back tears and choking on emotion. He said that he was saddened on learning his officers were targeted and transferred out during his absence. "We tried to do the right thing and they were after us. We were fighting for the country to recover the money that was stolen from Malaysians but we were accused as traitors and conspirators. I contacted two former ministers, Paul Low and Shahidan Kassim and told them to look into the matter and put a stop to the harassment of my personnel. In my second call to them, I went to the extent of warning them that I will wreak havoc and use all the powers I have to arrest those behind it for power abuse on my return to Malaysia if it did not stop. They assured me they will resolve it. I told them I don't want their promises but the reinstatement of my men who were transferred," he said. Mohd Shukri said he and Abu Kassim never gave up and kept fighting the case and met will several ministers urging them to remove Najib and replace him with anyone else. "Only three ministers, namely Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin, Datuk Seri Mohd Shafie Apdal and Datuk Seri Ahmad Husni Hanadzlah were brave enough to speak up on the scandal. The rest were all afraid. Now when I meet them, the agree they should have listened to me." he said. Mohd Shukri said when he was summoned by Prime Minister Tun Mahathir Mohamad on May 14 and asked to take up the top post with the MACC, he initially felt like declining it. "I was not interested in going back to work and to take up the post. I am enjoying a blissful retirement and enjoy spending time with my cute granddaughter everyday. However, when I met Tun Mahathir, I could not give him any excuses to turn down the offer because if I said I am old, he is 93 and came out to serve the nation. When you are in front of a person like Tun, it is not easy to turn him down. So I agreed and told him I will accept it on one condition, that I finish the unfinished job I undertook. If you ask me if I am happy, I will say I am not but I accept it because of my country. I have to solve this 1MDB and SRC case as it is one that is really intimidating." Meanwhile, newly-appointed Home Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin has urged Mohd Shukri to lodge a report after the later claimed to have his life threatened when investigating the 1MDB scandal in 2015. Muhyiddin said should there be prima facie to his claim, investigation would take place and action would be taken where necessary.