PETALING JAYA: The government’s decision to scrap approvals for local council projects in non-Barisan Nasional (BN) parliamentary constituencies was due to insufficient funds. Urban Wellbeing, Housing and Local Government (KPKT) Minister Tan Sri Noh Omar said as such, priority had to be given to constituencies that have been won by the BN coalition. “We look at our budget allocation for these BP.1 projects (small scale local council projects), since last year, we were not able to provide for all 222 parliament constituencies. “Based on what we have, of course we would give priority to constituencies that were won by BN. In the future, when we have rearranged (our budget), then we will provide to constituencies where the opposition hold the parliamentary seats. “Even this, we can’t provide to all,” he said late Wednesday night. Noh’s statement came in light of a leaked letter signed by the Local Government Department director-general Abu Bakar Johar dated March 17, claiming that the ministry has scrapped all local council projects in non-BN constituencies. According to the letter, the directive applied to all BP.1 projects, categorised as small scale people-centric projects in the respective local councils, including the building and repairing of roads, drains, public toilets, multi-purpose halls, and business premises. Noh further explained that certain non-BN constituencies were also given exception from this directive, depending on the application forwarded by the respective local councils. “For example in East Ipoh, I did allocate some funds. The same applied to Shah Alam. So what’s the issue? I will give to those who applied. But priority will be given to BN representatives,” he said. On DAP Taiping MP Nga Kor Ming’s statement that he would issue a demand letter to Noh to withdraw the directive or he would file a legal action to cancel the order, Noh said he would welcome the decision. He cited a previous example where Sungai Siput MP Dr. Michael Jeyakumar Devaraj had brought to court, questioning a budget allocation by the state government. “He was told by the court that it was the right of the state government. So I welcome it if Nga wants to do the same and question the government’s budget allocation. It will just make him look stupid, and prove his stupidity,” he said.