THE 2020 all-new Mazda CX-30 compact crossover SUV was officially launched this morning, promising customers “refined quality in every area”.
Combining the bold proportions of an SUV with elegant styling that embodies Mazda’s renowned Kodo design language, the CX-30 sits between the CX-3 and CX-5 on the sizing scale and is designed to be “an essential partner in the customer’s daily life in mind”.
It has a relaxed and user-friendly packaging with a cabin that comfortably seats four adults. Designed to be easy to drive, its increased height over a passenger car provides excellent visibility and makes getting in and out a breeze, while the body size makes it easy to manoeuvre on any road and in any parking lot.
Basic performance attributes such as accelerating, turning and braking have been dramatically enhanced with Mazda’s Skyactiv-Vehicle Architecture which enables people to make the most of their natural sense of balance.
Innovative packaging for richer, more enjoyable experience
- Generous luggage compartment with a large opening. Luggage capacity is a generous 430 litres (includes sub-trunk; measure in-house by Mazda), enough to simultaneously accommodate a large, global-standard baby carriage and a carry-on bag.
- The liftgate opening is 1,020mm wide, while the height of the flip is a relatively low 731mm, making it easier to load and unload heavy or bulky cargo.
- Plenty of ground clearance and a hip-point height that makes it easy to get into and out of the car.
- The shape of the seat cushions and B-pillars were optimised in light of how people move during entry and exit to enable even heavily built rear passengers to get in and out in a smooth fashion.
- Telescopic steering offering 70mm or travel for precise control over the driving position. In addition, front seat cushion tilt adjustment is included as standard equipment to help prevent the occupant’s thighs floating above the cushion (seat angle too low) or placing undue pressure on the thighs (seat angle too high). As such, it offers firm support that keeps the pelvis in an upright position to maintain the ideal posture Mazda aims for.
- The position of the gear shift lever, commander control and cupholders on the floor console is optimized for operating stability, ease and comfort.
- The Active Driving Display, meters and centre display were all redesigned to present information in a simple fashion, while the fonts used were unified to create a pleasing and consistent look. The 8.8-inch wide-screen centre display offers simplified operation that requires only the use of the commander control. It also features a new intuitive guidance system that makes the commander control easier to operate.
- Thickness and shape of the A-pillar were optimised to minimise its obstruction angle and associated blind spots. Every detail of the pillar shape was carefully thought out after research into what degree of neck and eye movement would not burden the driver. As a result, the design significantly reduces blind spots ahead of the car, providing the driver with a continuous view of pedestrians or potential obstacles to the right or left while maintaining a natural driving posture.
- The C-pillar is small, providing good rearward visibility through the quarter window, offering easy confirmation of other vehicles or objects to the rear when changing lanes or entering a parking lot.
- Standard audio system featuring a three-way, eight-speaker configuration with 3L woofers mounted at the sides of the cowl, 2.5cm tweeters on the left and right sail garnishes and 8cm squawkers on the upper section of the front and rear door trim.
- The seats adopt a basic structure designed to maintain the natural S-shaped curve of the spine. The seat cushion and lower seatback support the thighs, lower pelvis and upper pelvis to keep the pelvis in an upright position.
- Sound-absorption added to the headliner and floor mats effectively suppresses high-frequency noise, while tyres with optimised vertical yield and increased rigidity at possible entry points help prevent the transmission of unwanted vibrations to the cabin.
Outstanding safety performance
Standard safety technologies in the CX-30 includes seven airbags, Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS), Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), Traction Control System (TCS), Emergency Stop Signal (ESS), and Hill Launch Assist (HLA). The CX-30 introduces a knee airbag for the driver’s seat as standard equipment worldwide.
In the area of active safety, CX-30’s i-Activsense is available on the CX-30 High variants, while further evolved technologies to help prevent accidents through advanced brake control enhance the omnidirectional sensing capability Mazda is pursuing.
Other i-Activsense advanced safety features include Driver Attention Alert (DAA), Adaptive Front-Lighting System (AFS), High Beam Control (HBC), Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM) with Rear Cross-Traffic Alert (RCTA), Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS) with Lane-Keep Assist System (LAS), Front & Rear Smart Brake Support (SBS) and Mazda Radar Cruise Control (MRCC).
In terms of passive safety, the vehicle body includes more high-strength steel than ever before.
The CX-30 is currently fully-imported (CBU) from Japan. The eight-colour line-up includes Soul Red Crystal, Machine Gray, Jet Black, Deep Crystal Blue, Sonic Silver, Snowflake White Pearl, Titanium Flash and Polymetal Gray Metallic.
There are two engine options for Malaysia – the latest Skyactiv-G 2.0 petrol engine and Skyactiv-D 1.8 diesel engine.
Prices – on-the-road without insurance, for private registration in West Malaysia – for the 2020 all-new Mazda CX-30 compact crossover SUV are:
Mazda CX-30 2.0L: RM143,059.
Mazda CX-30 2.0L High: RM164,059.
Mazda CX-30 1.8L High: RM172,943.
All new Mazda vehicles registered from Jan 1 onwards will have five years manufacturer warranty plus five years free maintenance (except Mazda BT-50) according to manufacturer’s standards inclusive of labour, parts and lubricants.
Both manufacturer warranty and free maintenance have a coverage period of five years and a mileage limit of 100,000km, whichever comes first.
Continuous pursuit for better ownership experience
Speech by Bermaz Auto Bhd* executive chairman Datuk Seri Ben Yeoh
BERMAZ Motors, since taking over the distribution of Mazda Products in Malaysia, has continuously introduced products that are exciting and capturing the emotion of our Malaysian consumers with creative designs and human centric technology that inspire the joy of driving, our “Zoom-Zoom” philosophy.
This has given Mazda a good brand recognition and propelled our image as a popular growing Japanese brand. The latest introduction of the next generation products started at the end of last year with the introduction of the seventh-generation Mazda3.
These new generation of vehicles, besides its award-winning designs, focuses on connectivity, active safety features, a result of autonomous technology, cleaner and more efficient engines aided by more electrification for reduction in overall CO2 emissions and better fuel economy. Formal collision tests have proven that these new generation vehicles are stronger and safer. Today we will again be showcasing (them in) another product, the new CX-30.
With the rising popularity and demand for SUVs in the domestic market, this new CX-30 will complement our existing range of SUVs. The size is just right for those who find the CX3 a bit small and want a slightly bigger cabin space.
But what is most important is that as a distributor, we will continue with our pursuit for better ownership experience for Mazda owners.
We started by undertaking a programme to ensure our customers have a hassle free, five years free maintenance and warranty programme. This has contributed to the growing confidence for the Mazda brand resulting in the need for more accessibility to our services. Now most of our major centres are open seven days a week to cater for the growing demand for our services.
Digital technology has allowed us to be connected to our current Mazda owners and also the opportunities to showcase in detail our range of products and services in the internet and electronic media.
Also, we are now able to give Mazda owners a lifestyle that goes beyond mobility, a connected Mazda society that recognises a healthy life style in sports and social activities, engaging with society to carry out charities and environmental protection activities – these are some of the ongoing activities pursued by the Mazda owners.
And to the media fraternity that have over the years supported us in evaluating our products fairly and openly. Your effort has resulted in consumers showing keen interest in our products and created a certain level of confidence to consumers unfamiliar with the Mazda brand.
Mazda turns 100 this month!
Speech by Mazda Motor Corporation (Japan) Asia & Oceania and New Emerging Markets managing executive officer Hiroshi Inoue
“MAZDA was established in Hiroshima in 1920, meaning January 30 this year will mark the 100th anniversary since our foundation. On behalf of Mazda, I would like to take this opportunity to express my heartfelt and deepest appreciation to all of those who have supported us over this period.
The first-generation CX-5, introduced in 2012, and the following new models thereafter, all adopt Skyactiv technology and Kodo design, delivering consistent superior driving pleasure as well as outstanding environmental performance and has been very well received by car lovers around the world.
With this success, came greater expectation for the next generation of Mazda cars. To meet such expectation, in 2017, we announced our long-term vision for technology development, “Sustainable Zoom-Zoom 2030”, which will focus on innovative technology for a new generation of products that contribute to society, the earth and reinvigorating people’s spirits.
Last year, as the first of such new generation products, we launched our all-new Mazda3 globally.
And today, in Malaysia, one of the most important markets in Asean, I am delighted to announce the launch of the second of our new generation products, the Mazda CX-30.
Due to the CX-30 being unlike any new addition to Mazda’s product lineup, I am confident our whole lineup will fulfil the requirements of a wider range of customers with different lifestyles and at different life stages, thus making Mazda brand more attractive.
Mazda is always striving to bring unique value to customers, making their lives with cars more enjoyable.
Not only on a product and technology front, but also retail operation front, Mazda wants our customers to feel satisfaction and confidence throughout the entire ownership period including aftersales services, and to this end, with our close partner, Bermaz Motor, we are working hard every day to develop various areas such as facilities, human resources and job processes, in a way unique to Mazda.
Mazda will soon mark its 100th anniversary, and in order to sustain our business growth over the next 100 years, Mazda’s management team believes that it is important to keep on pursuing our unique values.
Moving forward, Mazda continuously aims to enrich customer’s lives by providing high-quality, fun-to-drive cars as well as outstanding services.”
*Bermaz Motor Sdn Bhd, listed under Bermaz Auto Berhad (formerly known as Berjaya Auto Berhad), is the exclusive distributor of Mazda vehicles and spare parts in Malaysia. Prima Merdu Sdn Bhd is the sole and exclusive importer of Mazda vehicles in Malaysia.