Singaporean businessman found chopped up into 11 pieces

Crimes that shook the nation: Body parts-in-fridge murder

IT was a plush condominium unit in Mont’Kiara which he had bought at a property auction.

He had visited the vacant unit on the 19th floor a few times in the past three month, always finding it in a mess and covered in dust.

The last thing that crossed his mind was encountering a gruesome sight in a refrigerator that was discarded by the previous owner.

On the evening of July 29, 2007, the owner, who was in his 30s, set out to clean his newly acquired property and dispose of what was left behind by the previous occupants.

With the help of his foreign maid, they began cleaning the apartment but stopped dead in their tracks when they spotted a parang and old bloodstains on a mattress.

Their suspicions were aroused and they turned their attention to a refrigerator in the premises that had its doors sealed with masking tape.

Together, they undid the tape and opened the fridge door.

A nasty stench filled the air. They froze. Several filled garbage bags seeping slimy fluid were stacked in the fridge shelves.

Knowing he could not just dismiss the stench as something that resulted from rotting animal meat, the new landlord called security guards on duty at the condominium and the police.

It was not long until police arrived and uncovered the dismembered human body parts of a man in the garbage bags. It had been cut into 11 parts.

The victim was identified as 39-year-old Singaporean Goh Yoke Seng, a businessman who had lived in the apartment with his Sarawakian wife, then aged 33.

Forensics findings showed that Goh had been killed more than a year earlier.

Investigations into the murder led police to search for Goh’s wife.

As news of the Singaporean’s murder broke, the Sarawakian wife surrendered herself to police a day after the grisly find.

She remained in custody under remand but was released on bail days later.

Police concluded the probe and filed their findings to the prosecution but two months later, the woman was absolved of the murder and freed unconditionally due to insufficient evidence.

The wife’s self-incriminating cautioned statement to police soon after her arrest was also rejected and ruled inadmissible in court.

It was reported the wife was a bright student and a state squash player in her younger years and had pursued her studies at a university in the US on a government scholarship.

The finance graduate was working as an air stewardess when she met Goh and decided to settle down with him.

It is learnt the couple had bought the luxury condominium but ran into dire financial straits which led to the foreclosure of the property.

Goh was last seen by his family in 2005.

The case remains unsolved.