SEARCH

MCO: No official complaint on worker lay-offs, says Deputy Minister

04 Apr 2020 / 20:28 H.

PENDANG: No official complaint on the retrenchment of workers has been made throughout the imposition of the Movement Control Order (MCO) since its launch on March 18, and the situation is still under control, said Human Resources Deputy Minister Awang Hashim today.

He said the government would continue to ensure the interests of employers and employees were safeguarded, while establishing a win-win situation for both parties as they were important components of the country’s economy.

“So far, there have been no official reports on workers being terminated and the situation is still under control. The government is striving every day to ensure the aid we are providing will be holistic, and this includes looking at how we can help employers and employees,” he said, after presenting food packs from the Social Welfare Department to the community here.

In the event that reports on worker retrenchment are filed, the government would endeavour to resolve the matter as soon as possible, and by viewing it from all perspectives, he added.

Awang said his ministry welcomed viewpoints and suggestions from all parties, which would help the government in its efforts to reduce the burden which Covid-19 had wrought on the most vulnerable segments of the population, particularly among employers and employees.

So far, the ministry had had discussions with the Malaysian Employers Federation (MEF), Malaysian Trades Union Congress (MTUC), Federation of Malaysian Manufacturers (FMM) and the Congress of Unions of Employees in the Public and Civil Services (Cuepacs).

These groups, he said, had provided useful suggestions to the government which was dealing with a dangerous pandemic for the first time, like other nations across the world. — Bernama

email blast