SEARCH

Targeted EMCO in Kota Setar ends today - Ismail Sabri

25 Sep 2020 / 17:53 H.

KUALA LUMPUR: The administrative Enhanced Movement Control Order (EMCO) that was imposed in Kota Setar district, Kedah on Sept 11 will end today, said Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.

Ismail Sabri said the government, however, had decided to extend the targeted EMCO at Rumah Pangsa Tongkang Yard (Seberang Perak) until Oct 7 because the district is facing a high risk of Covid-19 infection.

“A total of 94 residents in that location have been screened and nine of them from five houses were found positive of Covid-19.

“The extension is to enable a second round of screening to be done by the Health Ministry. The police and the army will maintain movement controls in the location to ensure all residents abide by the standard operating procedure and quarantine order,” he said in a statement today.

Ismail Sabri also announced that Sekolah Kebangsaan (SK) Sungai Korok Lama would be closed from tomorrow until Oct 9.

Meanwhile, Ismail Sabri said police arrested 78 individuals for breaching the Recovery Movement Control Order (RMCO) yesterday, with 74 being compounded and four remanded.

The most common offences involved 23 individuals detained for not wearing face masks, 18 for leaving their houses in an administrative EMCO area without a good reason, and 12 for being in night clubs.

“Other offences included failure to provide equipment for recording personal particulars (11), operating premises without approval (eight), failure to practise physical distancing (three) and illegal immigrants (three),” he said.

On Operasi Benteng, Ismail Sabri said 42 illegal immigrants, two skippers and two smugglers were arrested and nine land vehicles seized.

Ismail Sabri said 34,027 individuals had returned to the country via international entry points since July 24, and they were housed in 65 hotels and nine other premises including public training institutes in Kuala Lumpur, Selangor, Negeri Sembilan, Pulau Pinang, Johor, Sarawak, Kelantan, Perak, Kedah, Perlis, Terengganu, Sabah and Labuan.

“Of this number, 7,593 individuals are undergoing compulsory quarantine and 103 were sent to hospital for treatment. A total of 26,331 individuals have been discharged and allowed to return home,” he added.

Ismail Sabri said that so far 268 investigation papers had been opened by police and the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission in connection with fake news on Covid-19.-Bernama

email blast