SEARCH

Traders up in arms over condition at new market

29 Sep 2019 / 15:45 H.

PETALING JAYA: Traders at the Selayang Baru market are supposed to be operating from a new building from tomorrow, yet there is still no power supply to the new premises.

In addition the food court has yet to be equipped with tables and chairs, according to Hussain Sajad, a spokesman for the more than 400 traders.

The current market is making way for commercialisation projects. The new premises is about 200m away.

Hussain said the traders had raised their concerns with the Selayang Municipal Council (MPS) but have yet to receive any official response.

“The information we have received from the MPS with regards to the new premises so far has only been given verbally. There is nothing on paper so people are left in the dark,” he said.

Hussain said the biggest problem was the technical issues, which made it impossible for the traders to move in. “At least 80% of the outstanding issues have yet to be addressed,” he told theSun.

“How are we supposed to run our businesses if there’s nothing there? It’s crazy,” he said.

He claimed that the traders had asked to meet with the authorities and had even submitted a memorandum but “our requests have fallen on deaf ears”.

In a response, MPS said it had been in talks with the traders’ association in July and August.

“Among the issues discussed were illegal hawkers, zoning proposals, hawker interview methods, market buildings and others,” it said in a statement on Sept 16.

It said the process to evict the traders from the current premises was in accordance with standard procedure and it had taken feedback from all stakeholders.

email blast