Airbnb is lifting the veil on the explosive Korean pop music industry with an unprecedented look behind the scenes of K-Pop. Hosted by chart-topping idols Monsta X, and in partnership with Warner Music Korea, Airbnb’s Inside K-Pop will provide Malaysians with a backstage pass to a musical genre that has taken the world by storm.
The collection is supported by Airbnb hosts who offer a range of musical experiences from around the world and an inside perspective on Korean food, fashion and culture, in addition to music-themed hosts of homes that can inspire future travel.
Inside K-Pop will run from January 25-30 2021 MYT, featuring 14 unique Online Experiences offered in either English, Korean, Chinese or Japanese.
From dance rehearsals to vocal practice, makeup tutorials to photoshoot tips, Malaysians can keep themselves busy during the Movement Control Order (MCO) by experiencing first-hand the rigorous training of a K-Pop star.
Some Online Experiences will give guests a rare glimpse into the daily rhythms and rituals of K-Pop proteges when not on the road, including making beaded bracelets as a way to relax and unwind, and chatting with stars as they mukbang (eat in front of an audience) Korean convenience store food, a rare treat.
All Online Experiences will be priced at $20 each and will be available for booking from January 21 at 7 AM MYT on a first come-first served basis at www.airbnb.com/insidekpop.
At a time when concerts all around the world have been cancelled and music venues remain shuttered for the foreseeable future, Inside K-Pop will transport Malaysians to the streets of Seoul, K-Pop’s epicenter.
The program features:
1. Monsta X mukbang - Hang with the boys as they chow down on their favorite Korean convenience store food to refuel after busy days in training and on the road.
2. Time to get crafty with The Boyz as they chill out at a Hanok (traditional Korean home) on Airbnb engaging in their newfound passion for making beaded bracelets as a way to de-stress (and a nice memento to give friends, family and fans).
3. Join Jamie as she illustrates her daily make-up routine and tips for creating the perfect off-stage look.
4. Get photo fabulous with Handong from Dreamcatcher as she takes you behind the scenes of a K-Pop photoshoot at a chic listing in Seoul. Learn poses, gestures and expressions that bring out your inner popstar.
5. Share AleXa’s passion for dance with an immersive experience that takes you through the dance journey of a K-Pop star. Learn her famous moves and come prepared to shake your booty.
6. Prolific singer-songwriter Nive invites you to an intimate concert and storytelling session where he discusses his journey writing for some of K-Pop’s biggest stars.
7. Learn the art and magic of putting your best face forward in photographs with avid photographer and former U-KISS band member Kevin Woo.
8. Make your own gungjung tteokbokki (savory rice cakes from Korean royal courts) with rising star boy band Cravity. Find out more about the boys of Cravity HERE
9. Join some of K-Pop’s most well-known dance crews BB Trippin and Freemind as they lead a choreography session, showing you the major moves of star performers.
10. Learn the art of hairstyling for the stage and how to maintain your tresses with hair and make-up artists to the stars ALUU (hair and make-up) and Joy 187 (hair and make-up).
“Inside K-Pop is a virtual passport to the magic of Seoul at a time when travel remains restricted, offering unprecedented access to some of K-Pop’s biggest names both in front of and behind the curtain. We are so excited for would-be travellers to connect with this vibrant community and see the joy these extraordinary talents will bring to a global audience as hosts of Airbnb Online Experiences,” states Catherine Powell, Airbnb’s Global Head of Hosting.
“We are thrilled to partner with Airbnb on Inside K-Pop, a campaign which will elevate the world of Korean pop music to a global audience. Our deep relationship with homegrown Korean talent enabled us to recruit some of the brightest stars to be part of this wonderful initiative,” stated Clayton Jin, CEO of Warner Music Korea.
Since launching in April 2020, Online Experiences offers a platform in which hosts have a means to earn and guests have a way to connect without leaving their homes. In a world that has radically shifted in terms of how we travel, live and work, this platform is a vital portal through which connection and belonging can be fostered. For more, visit airbnb.com/online-experiences.