SEARCH

Penang roads were busy as ever despite MCO

14 Jan 2021 / 07:31 H.

GEORGE TOWN, Jan 13: Based on what the police observed, the movement control order (MCO) did not bring changes to traffic congestion in the island.

Penang police chief, Datuk Sahabudin Abd Manan, said the number of road vehicles was still high.

“During monitoring, police found that there wasn’t a great reduction in the number of vehicles, especially during rush hour to get to work and go home, perhaps because economic activity is still allowed unlike during the MCO last year.

“However, in the afternoon, traffic was less compared to normal days,” he told Bernama.

Bernama, too, observed heavy traffic entering the Penang Bridge from Seberang Jaya, as well as on the Tun Dr Lim Chong Eu

Expressway towards George Town and the Penang Bridge, which resulted in a jam stretching several kilometres.

Some motorists claimed it took them two hours to reach the bridge from Seberang Jaya.

Sahabudin said that in contrast, there were less people at the market and they were following the standard operating procedure (SOP).

He advised Penangites “to stay at home unless they have something urgent to attend to outside in order to stop the spread of COVID-19”.

He said there are 44 roadblocks (SJR) in Penang and more will be set up if needed.

He said 2,690 officers and policemen have been recruited to join SOP compliance teams, task forces and to guard quarantine centres, and that the number will be increased as needed.

“Throughout this MCO period, the police will be assisted by the Malaysian Armed Forces (ATM),People’s Volunteer Corps (Rela), Penang Island City Council (MBPP) and Seberang Prai City Council (MBSP),” Sahabudin said.

Prime Minister, Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin, announced on Jan 11 the re-imposition of the MCO in the Federal Territories, Penang, Johor, Melaka, Selangor and Sabah from Jan 13 - Jan 26 to contain the spread of COVID-19.- Bernama

email blast