Ramasamy, Charles ready to cooperate with cops over Zakir report

10 Sep 2019 / 13:29 H.

PETALING JAYA: Four Pakatan Harapan (PH) leaders who have been urged to assist police over controversial preacher Zakir Naik’s case have said they will cooperate fully.

Klang MP Charles Santiago said police had yet to summon him to record his statement, adding that he is ready to be quizzed.

“The police have the right to question anyone for their investigations. I’m not sure (why) they are going to call me, maybe I have broken the law.“

Meanwhile, Penang Deputy Chief Minister II P. Ramasamy and Bagan Dalam assemblyman Satees Muniandy confirmed that Bukit Aman officers will meet them both in Penang on Sep 11.

“They will see me at 9am and Satees at 11am in Komtar,“ Ramasamy said.

“Our statements will be recorded in response to two police reports lodged by Zakir against me and one against Satees.”

Ramasamy said on Saturday he was ready to assist with police investigations, adding “we don’t run away from the law in Malaysia, not like the fugitive Zakir”.

Satees said he is ready to cooperate with the authorities and assist in investigations.

“None of us will run away from the cops, or from Malaysia. We will face the law in our own country.”

Zakir had filed police reports against Ramasamy, Satees and three others – Human Resources Minister M. Kulasegaran, Santiago and former envoy Dennis J. Ignatius – for alleged defamation.

This came after the preacher kicked up a storm with a speech last month, in which he suggested that Malaysian Indians were more loyal to Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, and referred to Chinese Malaysians as “old guests.”

Zakir has since apologised, but claimed his remarks were taken out of context.

Following the remarks made in Kota Baru, hundreds of police reports were filed against Zakir.

He subsequently visited Bukit Aman several times to have his statements recorded.

email blast