Scores of flights delayed at KLIA following systems disruption (Updated)

22 Aug 2019 / 22:58 H.

SEPANG: Scores of flights were delayed Thursday after both terminals of the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) experienced temporary systems disruption.

There were 20 flights reportedly delayed as at 10.30am Thursday at the KLIA main terminal following the woes that affected flights which included those bound for Narita, Japan; Perth, Sydney and Melbourne, Australia; Jakarta, London and Hong Kong.

The disrupted connections, since last night (Aug 21), had affected several airport systems such as WiFi connections, Flight Information Display System (FIDS), check-in-counters and the Baggage Handling Systems (BHS).

The airport operator Malaysia Airports in their 8 pm update said that the systems at KLIA had not fully stabilised.

“We hope to be able to resolve the situation by tomorrow morning (Aug 23),“ said Malaysia Airports.

Malaysia Airports advised passengers to reach the airport at least four hours before their flight departure time.

The situation at the main terminal of KLIA was relatively under control although long and snaking passenger queues could be seen following manual check-in at counters.

The Airport Care Ambassadors were visible all around to assist passengers.

Passengers were also seen being assisted and guided at self check-in kiosks.

Malaysia Airports said they had deployed more staff on the ground, with the total numbering almost 1,000 to provide all possible assistance to passengers and airlines.

“Do reach out to any airport staff on the ground if you require information regarding your flight details,” it said.

Malaysia Airports said their team would continue to work round-the-clock in order to rectify the situation.

Among the solutions that were being employed include the replacement of hardware equipment and they had received delivery of the equipment which would undergo testing tonight, it said.

“We deeply regret the inconvenience caused to all passengers,“ said Malaysia Airports.

Meanwhile, KLIA district police chief ACP Zulkifli Adamsah when contacted said police were closely monitoring the situation at KLIA and klia2 and were ready to act if required.

His said that his officers and men were on duty as normal although the congestion was heavier.

“The manpower strength for now is sufficient,” he said. — Bernama

Untitled Document

email blast