KUALA LUMPUR: The Works Ministry will appoint an independent auditor early next month to assist the government in preparing data analysis and recommendations on the issue of toll collection.
Works Minister Baru Bian said data analysis and recommendations would include reduction of toll rates in the short, medium and long term.
“On Oct 31, the Cabinet, after considering the direction of toll collection in the country, has agreed to appoint an independent auditor.
“The analysis results are expected to be submitted to the Cabinet for consideration and consent in May next year,“ he said at the Dewan Rakyat sitting today.
He was replying to a question from R. Sanisvara Nethaji Rayer (PH-Jelutong) who wanted to know when the government would be expected to stop toll collection at the First Penang Bridge and North-South Expressway as had been promised in the 14th General Election manifesto.
Baru said the Pakatan Harapan government had always been looking for the best solution to reduce highway toll rates and to eventually abolish toll collection on all highways including the North-South Expressway and Penang Bridge, but it would only be implemented once the country’s finances stabilised. — Bernama