KUALA LUMPUR: The High Court has ordered for Deepak Jaikishan to serve a court notice to former primer minister Datuk Seri Najib Abdul Razak and seven others to reinstate their names into the suit by the family of private investigator P. Balasubramaniam, also known as PI Bala.
Deepak, who is being sued by the widow of PI Bala for causing intentional harm, wants to include Najib and the seven others as parties in the lawsuit so that if he is found liable for the action brought by A. Santamil Selvi, Najib and the rest will also have to pay damages and other relief.
According to Deepak’s lawyer Vinod Kamalanathan, High Court judge Datuk Azimah Omar said the documents had to be served as they were previously parties.
“The court finds this is a slightly peculiar situation as they were parties before. We are bringing them as third parties, we will serve the documents and it is up to them to reply,“ Vinod told reporters after meeting in the chambers of the judge.
This is despite Najib and the seven individuals having succeeded in striking out Santamil’s claim on them in July.
The court fixed Nov 14 for case management and Nov 23 for mention to update on Najib and the positions of the others in Santamil’s lawsuit.
In July, the Court of Appeal had allowed appeals by Najib, his wife Datin Seri Rosmah Mansor, Najib’s brothers Mohd Nazim and Johari, lawyers Sunil Abraham, Cecil Abraham, Arulampalam Mariampillai, and commissioner for oaths Zainal Abidin Muhayat to annul the suit.
Deepak did not appeal the decision.
Last year, Santamil and her two children filed the suit against the defendants, alleging the family suffered intentional harm as a result of their exile in India.
Her late husband, Balasubramaniam, was previously embroiled in a controversy over his two conflicting statutory declarations (SD) in the high-profile 2006 murder of Mongolian national Altantuya Shaariibuu.